CGN's Board Members discussion group is open to all current directors of CGN members. The purpose of this group is to facilitate discussion and share ideas and information that promote good governance practices in food co-ops and strengthen food co-op boards.
While this group is only open to current directors, we understand that directors can include general managers and other co-op staff. Those staff persons are welcome to join with the understanding that they are subscribed as board members and will keep confidentiality in mind. All group members agree that they will uphold the guidelines and policies found below. This is a member-only group.
Group members are welcome to:
- Send out any message about matters related to the governance of their co-ops.
- Use the group discussion to “survey” others about practices.
- Get reactions to proposed changes.
- Pass along announcements related to co-op events or news.
- Get references of helpful resources or contacts.
- Engage in discussion with other group members about any issues relevant to directors of food co-ops. (General discussion about food co-ops is more appropriate for the CGN Basic group.)
The Board group may NOT be used for:
- Advertisements or solicitations.
- Circulating such things as petitions, a post requesting that e-mail messages be sent to someone, or a “chain letter”.
- Forwarding warning messages without reliable confirmation — e.g. a warning about mass computer flaws, rampant medical problems, etc.
CGN expects ALL group members to:
- Be polite and respectful in their postings.
- Keep in mind that this group is a public forum and prepare your posts with the audience in mind. Your messages will be seen by directors from other food co-ops all around the country and will be permanently archived on our website. When posting to the discussion, please use the utmost circumspection.
- Maintain confidentiality around issues and information shared between members of this community and seek prior permission of all parties involved before sharing.
- Wear their board hats when participating in the board group. If you are a general manager, or co-op staff member and on the board of your co-op, or another co-op, please keep the discussion focused on the overall organization’s needs and from a governance perspective.
- Not reply to each message on a topic. This does not encourage good dialogue and discourages others to contribute to a discussion.
- Use their best judgment in sending messages out via the group.
The Board group is not monitored; group members are allowed to send their messages out directly via the group. There is no screening of messages. Group members who post messages that do not meet the above guidelines are subject to having all future messages moderated or having their access to the group terminated.