The Greene Hill Food Co-op is a member-owned-and-operated food cooperative located in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, New York. We are a 100% working co-op—meaning all members contribute two hours of work every four weeks. In return, we build a strong sense of community and enjoy prices that are significantly lower than for-profit grocery stores. Membership is open to all adults over 18.
We provide affordable, top-quality food primarily to members who live in the neighborhoods of Clinton Hill, Fort Greene, Bed-Stuy, Crown Heights, and Prospect Heights. We currently have approximately 1100 members. Our store is about 2700 square feet. Our store is currently open two days a week, moving to three days in early October.
It’s basic to our mission that we have a positive impact on and relationship with our communit(ies) in every way possible. With this mission in mind we have agreed to the following guiding principles:
• We value the spirit of cooperation and a democratic process in which each individual has a voice, and each member works to support the Co-op.
• We strive to offer a range of local, affordable, organic and sustainable food.
• As neighbors, we strive to reflect the community in which we live and we actively work to ensure that the Co-op is accessible to all.
• We seek to develop the Co-op as an ethical entity, using transparent and socially responsible buying and selling practices.
Greene Hill’s overall structure is one of committees with a Steering Committee primarily made up of all the committee co-chairs. Our Board of Directors is elected by the membership. For more information, please see our website at http://greenehillfood.coop/.
The Store Coordinator will oversee retail operations of the store to help meet the goals and objectives set by the Steering Committee. In the day-to-day running of the store the Coordinator will report to a designee of the Steering Committee, but formally the Coordinator will be responsible to the Board. The Coordinator will help ensure member satisfaction, as well as carry out various administrative responsibilities.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties
- oversee product ordering and monitor inventory
- oversee accurate pricing on an ongoing basis
- review the pricing of products to meet both sales projections and profit margins
- print and assess daily sales reports, and relay financials to Steering and Finance Committees
- file paperwork
- resolve delivery scheduling conflicts
- answer questions about products and policy
- promote prompt, friendly, knowledgeable service for all members
- make certain that member requests are considered in a timely manner
- establish and maintain positive and useful lines of communication
- cultivate a store climate of coordination, camaraderie, and high morale
- exemplify cooperative leadership and participate as a ‘trainer of trainers’ for shift leaders
- ensure appropriate appearance, cleanliness, safety and maintenance of the Co-op
- ensure compliance with health codes and other applicable laws
Other Responsibilities and Duties
- coordinate with the various committees that govern the co-op to assist with meeting goals
- attend monthly General Meetings and some committee meetings as necessary
- provide input toward long-term and business planning processes
- two to three years of management experience, preferably in the food sector
- working knowledge of the cooperative business structure and values
- demonstrate the desire to manage a mission-driven business and hold the Co-op’s guiding principles in high esteem
- show exceptional organizational and leadership skills including ability to manage members with varying roles and levels of commitment
- have proficiency with Google Docs and Microsoft Word, and ability to create and manipulate basic spreadsheets using formulas in Microsoft Excel and other major programs
- availability during open hours (Wednesday: 6-10PM, Saturday: 10AM-6PM) and some receiving hours (Monday: 8AM-1PM, Wednesday: 8AM-5PM, Friday: 8AM-5PM, Saturday: 8-10AM)
- have a high school diploma (an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree is preferred but not required)
- must be comfortable lifting heavy boxes up to 50 pounds,
- fluency in Spanish preferred
- 21 plus years of age
This is a part time position, 25-30 hours a week. The Store Coordinator will be paid $19-25/hour, commensurate with experience.
Please provide a cover letter and your resume to [email protected] by October 1st, 2012.
The Greene Hill Food Cooperative Incorporated is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to reflect the diverse communities we serve.