Portland Food Co-op, Portland, Maine
Portland Food Co-op seeks an enthusiastic leader that will serve the co-op as Assistant/Front-end Manager.
This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits. Pay is based on experience.
Apply by: Friday, August 1, 2014
Start date: Monday, August 18, 2014
- Passion for local food, healthy eating, education, community-building, and a cooperative, community-based approach to doing business
- Minimum of two years experience as a manager, preferably in a retail setting
- Co-op experience is a plus
- Proficient computer skills
- Creative thinking and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to lead others and take initiative in a fair, democratic environment
- Familiarity with POS systems and troubleshooting
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, handle multiple, concurrent activities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Fantastic interpersonal skills, one that leads by example
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Availability for regular evening and weekend shifts and a flexible schedule
- Able to work collaboratively with others with a sense of responsible autonomy
- Outgoing personality, enjoys talking with hundreds of people throughout the work day
- Proven success in creating an exceptional customer service experience
The Portland Food Co-op will open in the fall of 2014 and will be a dynamic, member-owned retail grocer that will focus on local and organic foods with the vision, organization, and energy to bring immediate and lasting benefits to the health and wellness of the community. The new store will be a communication hub for education and discussion around nutrition and food choices.
Our mission is to provide high quality, fairly priced food and other household goods and personal items; offer education and information on cooperative principles and practices, food and food sources, health, and nutrition; serve as a model of cooperation, democracy, and self-reliance; invest in an environmentally and economically sustainable local food system; cultivate fair and trusting relationships between consumers and producers; and cooperate with other cooperatives whenever possible; all for the mutual benefit of our member-owners and the local community.
The Assistant/Front-end Manager will be accountable to the General Manager and will support the General Manager in hiring other key leadership positions over the next weeks/months.
*A full job description is available upon request.
Please send cover letter, resume and 3 professional references to:
Portland Food Co-op