Prepared Foods Manager
EXEMPT: Yes SALARY:$48,960-$68,182
DIVISION: Admin DEPARTMENT: Prepared Foods
REPORT TO: General Manager DATE: June 12, 2014
SUMMARY: As a Prepared Foods Manager, you will lead the deli’s and bakery with your creativity, passion for the product, and quality driven leadership style. The Prepared Foods Manager provides overall management and supervision of the Prepared Foods Departments. You will be responsible for hiring, development, terminations and generally holding your team accountable. Responsibilities also include profitability, expense control (packaging and labor), inventory control, buying and merchandising, regulatory compliance, recipe development and special projects as assigned.
SUPERVISES: Bakery Manager and Deli Managers
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
1. Customer Service
a. Treat people fairly, consistently, and with respect.
b. Ensure efficient, informative, and friendly service according to established customer service vision and standards.
a. Model supportive and participatory leadership qualities, promote team building and motivate staff to achieve their stated objectives.
b. Treat staff and managers with consistency and fairness, in a style appropriate to a cooperative work environment.
c. Ensure that communications are clear, direct, and respectful.
d. Ensure professional and friendly service from all prepared foods staff.
e. Act as a model to all employees following both the union contract and employee handbook.
2. Personnel Practices
a. Actively address performance and personnel issues in a timely manner.
b. Ensure the integrity of North Coast’s stated vision and policies in decision-making and interactions with others
c. Follow good documentation practices.
d. Assist in maintaining updated job descriptions for all supervised staff.
e. Provide timely, thorough and thoughtful performance evaluations to staff.
f. Develop and maintain useful departmental training materials.
g. Ensure appropriate safety training for all department staff.
a. Meet labor, sales and margin goals determined in conjunction with the General Manager.
b. Maintain working knowledge of personnel reports, margin reports, weekly sales numbers and financial goals.
c. Communicate relevant sales, margin and labor goals to staff on a regular basis.
d. Communicate standards, expectations, policy changes and product knowledge to staff.
e. Track transfers, invoices and oversee the communication between both stores.
4. Management Practices
a. Actively participate in management team meetings following established ground rules.
b. Stay current on global trends and changes that affect the natural foods industry.
c. Understand the co-operative principles and business model.
d. Respond to challenging situations in a positive and professional manner including proposing new ideas or better ways of doing things.
e. Demonstrate regular, predictable work attendance.
f. Demonstrate a willingness and ability to cooperate and communicate with co-workers, supervisors, subordinates and/or outside contacts in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Complete goals and work plan tasks in a timely manner, meeting established deadlines.
h. Follow health and safety rules appropriate to department.
i. Maintain working knowledge of processes and solutions for store emergencies.
5. Merchandising & Product Management
a. Ensure the creation and maintenance of an aesthetic, engaging and comfortable shopping experience within the departments.
b. Ensure displays and shelves are fully stocked, rotated, fronted, and faced. Set stocking priorities for department staff. Stock items as needed.
c. Ensure proper shelf tags and sale signs are on shelves and displays.
d. Plan attractive displays. Coordinate displays and specials with merchandiser.
e. Cross merchandise products with other departments.
6. Food Service Operations
a. Ensure that equipment is properly maintained and serviced.
b. Work with department supervisors to ensure that up-to-date schedules for all staff are posted.
c. Ensure that all food service staff is trained and follow safe handling procedures to ensure a safe and sanitary operation.
d. Maintain working knowledge of pricing systems and Food Service departments.
e. Ensure that appropriate purchasing systems are maintained throughout the department.
f. Work with department supervisors to monitor movement reports for waste and production efficiency.
g. Ensure that PLUs and prices are maintained in the scales and POS system.
h. Ensure that proper signage and merchandising occurs.
i. Maintain ingredient guidelines for quality natural food products.
j. Work with department supervisors to develop and introduce new products that reflect the seasonality of ingredients.
k. Set pricing guidelines for Food Service departments to meet margin goals.
l. Ensure displays and signage are aesthetically appealing and accurate.
m. Evaluate suppliers as necessary and investigate new sources of supply.
n. Ensure adequate supply and selection of products.
o. Ensure adequate product and supplies are ordered and available for department.
p. Ensure that invoices are processed properly and delivered in a timely manner.
q. Oversee and/or participate in periodic inventory counts.
· Meet with department supervisors on a regular basis to reach labor, margin and sales goals.
· Meet with department supervisors on a regular basis to improve and troubleshoot systems and procedures for Food Service efficiency, productivity and quality.
· Meet with pricing departments as needed to ensure that appropriate pricing is occurring.
· Work with marketing department on signage, branding and aesthetics for departments.
· Work with Controller to complete quarterly numbers for prepared foods departments.
· Develop and maintain the Food Service Policy Manual.
· Complete other duties as assigned.
- Ability to develop and implement budgets and to adhere to cost and margin requirements
- Background in culinary arts, food service and/or restaurant management
- Demonstrated ability to adhere to sanitation and production guidelines
- Previous management experience - hiring, training, and evaluating
- Experience in planning, developing, and implementing systems, procedures and policies
- Demonstrated two or more years of experience leading a team
- Good communication and listening skills
- Ability to work well with others in a cooperative environment
- Commitment to superior customer service
- Sense of humor
- Ability to lift 50-80#
- Regular predictable attendance
· Experience supervising and managing staff in a food service or retail setting preferred
· Basic understanding of retail concepts and of retail industry
· Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the business; some early mornings, evenings, holiday, and weekend shifts required
· Basic computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, and email programs)
- Previous bakery, cooking, & pastry experience
- Knowledge of the natural foods industry
- Willingness to be open, to learn, and take on new responsibilities
- Demonstrate objectivity, neutrality and calmness under pressure
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Fast paced retail floor and kitchens. Work near moving mechanical parts (i.e. coffee/juice machines, ovens, slicers, mixers, etc.) and in cold/hot climate conditions (i.e. cooler or near stove). Ability to work in moderate and loud noise environments including, but not limited to: computers, paging, telephones, human voices, and machinery.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER NOTICE:
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors, requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that the employee may be required to perform. The employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business, competitive considerations or a work environment change.