Fort Collins Food Co-operative General Manager Position
Job Purpose: To successfully manage all financial and operational aspects of the Coop. To lead the development and implementation of operational initiatives and vision of The Fort Collins Food Coop as determined by our Board of Directors. To work with the Board of Directors in the ongoing process of expanding and relocating the Coop.
Status: Full-time, salaried management position with benefits.
Reports to: The General Manager (GM) reports to the Board of Directors under the system of Policy Governance. The job of the GM is to ensure the financial success of the cooperative while striving to carry out the Board’s long term vision for the store. The GM’s performance will be evaluated through systematic and rigorous monitoring of expectations that are stated in the Board’s policies. A full set of the board’s policies is available upon request.
Overview of Responsibilities:
● Hires, supervises, and reviews all paid Staff
● Develops staffing structure, pay scale, position description, employee benefits and policy manual to ensure store is structured for both cost effectiveness and performance effectiveness
● Prepares weekly work schedules
● Participates in and coordinates in-store teams (Management, Marketing, & Merchandising)
● Prepares the annual budget, monitors monthly expenditures to stay within budget, and prepares monthly financial reports for the Board of Directors
● Develops, monitors and communicates key financial metrics to Staff & Board – including regular Sales and Margin reports to Department Heads
● Oversees the maintenance of a customer friendly, clean and safe store
● Ensures compliance with all city, county and state codes; ensure all permits and licenses are current
● Manages and monitors compliance with all applicable federal and state health and safety laws
● Attends monthly Board meetings and complies with their reporting requirements
● Works closely with the Board to move The Fort Collins Food Coop through the process of expanding and relocating our store. (see background info)
Qualifications – required
● Grocery management experience
● Experience with developing operating, capital and cash budgets along with a strong attention to financial detail
● Supervisory and leadership experience
● Working knowledge of POS systems, QuickBooks, and MS Office
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills
● Commitment to cooperative values and principles
● Minimum work week of 45 hours
Qualifications – preferred
● Experience in the natural foods industry
● Experience working with cooperatives
● Experience in marketing and merchandising in a competitive market
● Experience communicating with and reporting to a Board of Directors
● Experience with Policy Governance
● Project Management experience
● Some understanding of the “local food” movement
Send Cover Letter, Resume, References and Salary Requirement to: [email protected]
Or mail to: Board of Directors
Fort Collins Food Cooperative
250 E Mountain Ave.
Fort Collins CO 80524
Application closing date: June 18 2014
The Fort Collins Food Cooperative, a natural foods grocery store, is celebrating 42 years in business in historic Old Town Fort Collins, Colorado. Fort Collins, an award winning community, is settled in the foothills of northern Colorado, home to Colorado State University, and is a hub of biking, breweries, foodies, and a great variety of outdoor activities. Fort Collins Food Coop currently has more than 1,800 owners, average annual sales of 1.3 million, and approximately 1800 retail square feet. For more information about Fort Collins please visit the website at http://www.fcgov.com/visitor
After a year of financial feasibility and market studies, the Coop Board of Directors has voted to pursue an expansion/relocation. We plan to triple our square footage, obtain a parking lot, and become a full-service grocery store. The store is currently in the capacity building phase. The Board has worked closely with CDS consulting to complete Financial and Market feasibility and there is an ongoing search for the right site. We are looking for an enthusiastic, energetic General Manager who will be able to lead the coop in both our current space and our future store. This is an ideal position for someone with natural foods management experience who is looking for a fun and challenging opportunity. For information on the position, see our website at www.fcfood.coop/people.php.