Deli/Kitchen Manager: The purpose of the Deli/Kitchen Manager position is to supervise the Kitchen Department and coordinate production of high-quality perpared foods for the Moscow Food Co-op while meeting department goals for sales, margin, labor and customer service, as well as assisting the Store Operations Manager and the General Manager to achieve strategic goals and ends policies set by the Board of Directors.
Status: Salaried, Exempt ($40K + DOE). Benefits for our full time employees (30+ hours per week) include health, vision and dental insurance and a 401K plan. All employees receive paid time off, an 18% discount in the store, regular raises, and a $5 lunch ticket to use in the deli during every six-hour shift.
· Kitchen Production Responsibilities, including proper production and storage of all ingredients and sellable products, research and developing new products, staff education, deli maintenance, vendor and supplier communication, price maintenance, and production efficiency.
· General Department Operations, including working with the Store Operations Manager and General Manager to achieve the Co-op’s Ends policies and goals set forth in the Strategic Plan, ensuring the department is consistently well-stocked with sellable product, establishing and applying standards for ordering and receiving product, managing inventory, invoicing and pricing, following appropriate record-keeping procedures, managing a budget, driving department goals, managing gross profit.
· Merchandising & Promotions, including offering a variety of products, researching industry trends, maintaining attractive displays, ensuring accurate signage, maintaining sampling program, ensuring compliance in labeling, working with promotions teams, writing newsletter pieces, visiting other stores and networking.
· Open Book Management, including motivating and educating staff using OBM tools, organizing and conducting department meetings, sharing incentives with employees for achieving department goals.
· Customer Service, including modelling excellent customer service, providing professional internal customer service to staff, ensuring training standards for employees are met, training employees to handle any customer service scenario, ensuring employees are knowledgeable about department products.
· Employee Performance Management, including coordinating hiring with the Human Resources department following established policy, defining and communicating expectations for staff, directing training programs and performance evaluations for staff according to policy, ensuring adequate staffing, posting schedules, notifying staff of policy changes.
· Department Maintenance & Safety, including maintenance of all equipment, coordinating with the facilities department about repair and replacement needs, ensuring staff follow all safety and sanitary handling procedures and have needed training.
- Respond on an “on call” basis to departmental needs.
- Actively participate in management team and storewide meetings.
- Willingly work with the requests of associates on the management team.
- Maintain a strong line of communication with the Store Operations Manager.
- Stay current on local and global trends that affect the natural foods industry.
- Attend industry trade shows, trainings, and conferences as appropriate.
- Maintain a flexible and open disposition with respect to ever-changing store demands.
- Complete additional duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Physical Requirements
- Professional cooking experience, including knowledge of recipes and formulas
- Staff management, delegation, direct communication and teaching skills
- Working knowledge of organic, vegetarian, and gluten-free diets as well as common allergens in deli goods
- Supervision experience
- Ability to develop and maintain systems and procedures
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple demands
- Outstanding communication skills: good listening skills, ability to give clear instructions and expectations
- Organized, attention to detail
- Ability to lift 50lbs
- Manual dexterity with hazardous equipment
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and work in close quarters with other people
The Moscow Food Co-op provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. The Moscow Food Co-op complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
To apply, please complete a Moscow Food Co-op employment application (available at the Customer Service Desk in the store or at www.moscowfood.coop/co-opportunities/employment). Please also provide your resume and contact information for two references (former employers preferred.) Completed applications can be inserted into the application drop-box in the store, emailed to [email protected] or faxed to us at (208) 882-8082. If you have any questions, please contact the Human Resources office at [email protected].