Education and Outreach Coordinator
Portland Food Co-op, Portland, Maine
Portland Food Co-op seeks an enthusiastic leader & organizer who will promote the Co-op through outreach, education, marketing and networking. The Education and Outreach Coordinator will promote and support the Portland Food Co-op vision and mission.
The position starts as part-time with benefits. Depending on availability of potential grants this position could increase to full-time in the near future. Pay is based on experience.
- Passion for local food, healthy eating, education, community-building, and a cooperative, community-based approach to doing business
- Experience in marketing, event planning, outreach, and education
- Proficient computer skills including social media
- Creative thinking and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to create newsletters and marketing materials
- Familiarity with survey and email marketing tools
- Experience with creating and managing a department budget
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, handle multiple, concurrent activities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Fantastic interpersonal skills, including the ability to engage different types of people as a liaison to the greater Portland community (Current involvement in our local community is a plus)
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Familiarity with fundraising & grant writing helpful
- Availability for evening and weekend events
- Able to work collaboratively with others with a sense of responsible autonomy
The Portland Food Co-op will open in the fall of 2014 and will be a dynamic, member-owned retail grocer that will focus on local and organic foods with the vision, organization, and energy to bring immediate and lasting benefits to the health and wellness of the community. The new store will be a communication hub for education and discussion around nutrition and food choices.
Our mission is to provide high quality, fairly priced food and other household goods and personal items; offer education and information on cooperative principles and practices, food and food sources, health, and nutrition; serve as a model of cooperation, democracy, and self-reliance; invest in an environmentally and economically sustainable local food system; cultivate fair and trusting relationships between consumers and producers; and cooperate with other cooperatives whenever possible; all for the mutual benefit of our member-owners and the local community.
A dedicated Coordinator will be able to leverage the increased public visibility and operational capacity of the storefront to maximize the Co-op’s impact as a bridge between farmers and consumers.
The Education and Outreach Coordinator will be accountable to the General Manager and will support the Board of Directors and member-owners by carrying out and fulfilling the mission of the Co-op.
Friday, June 20, 2014
Monday, July 21, 2014
Please send cover letter, resume and 3 professional references to:
Portland Food Co-op