Reports to: Store Manager
Status: Group F. Entry salary range based on experience.
To aid Wheatsville in its mission to become the Friendliest Store in Town by providing exceptional external customer service to all Wheatsville shoppers and excellent internal customer service to all Wheatsville staff. To coordinate Kitchen & Counter operations to prepare attractive dishes for a natural foods deli; to help meet department goals for sales, margin, labor and customer service.
I. OPERATIONS, FOOD PREPARATION, PACKAGING, AND SALES
- Oversee cooks & counter clerks in preparing consistent and high quality deli offerings that meet quality standards.
- Schedule cooks & counter clerks to meet production & service goals;
- Ensure that production goals are being met and that batches are being reduced / increased to meet sales goals.
- Coordinate production for catering assignments, special events, and holiday production
- Ensure that deli cases are stocked fully to give feeling of abundance.
- Ensure that all product is in sellable condition and meets quality standards
- Oversee proper rotation and dating of deli items to ensure freshness.
- Ensure that all items are accurately labeled with price and ingredients.
- Report customer suggestions, comments, and complaints to Store Manager
- Ensures smooth daily operation of the deli dept. within Health Dept. Standards.
- Ensures the daily preparation and stocking of product in accordance with department standards
- Ensures the efficient ordering of all deli items including supplies necessary to properly run the dept.
- Ensures that all orders are received promptly and all Invoices are dealt with according to department standards
- Ensures that quarterly inventory is completed in a timely and accurate manner
- Responsible for implementing a regular schedule of maintenance of all deli equipment.
- Ensures a high level of quality and consistency of product in the dept.
- Ensures execution of promotions for the dept – including specials and sampling demos
- Executes resets with team members
- Ensures that dept. signage is put up and taken down as directed by the Fresh Manager
II. DEPARTMENT MAINTENANCE
- Ensure kitchen, counter, and food storage areas are maintained in sanitary, orderly condition meeting Health Department standards.
- Ensure proper storage and labeling procedures.
- Ensure that unsellable items are properly disposed of.
- Participate in periodic inventory counts.
- Maintain department equipment in working order; Advise Store Manager of equipment repair or replacement needs.
- Ensure all recipes are up to date and are being followed by cooks and bakers.
III. PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT (for cooks, counter clerks, leads, orderers, and stewards)
· Recruit and hire qualified applicants following established policy.
· Ensure on-the-job training.
· Conduct and document performance reviews.
· Document performance issues and take corrective action as needed following established policy.
· Recommend pay increases within department budget and co-op pay scale.
· Schedule hours for kitchen & counter staff within payroll allocation and review time cards.
· Assist in organizing and attend dept. Cast – reporting on owned lines
· Attend Wheatcast – reporting on owned lines
· Ensure kitchen & counter staff are informed of policy changes.
· Stays current and communicates through logbooks
· Participates in annual labor planning for departments
· Inventory scheduling, planning and implementation
IV. ACTIVE PARTICIPATION IN OPEN BOOK MANAGEMENT
· Participates in Wheatcast
· Owns lines in Wheatcast and/or Department Cast
· Helps to facilitate department’s cast
· Creates departmental cast environment that is engaging and inclusive
· Regularly takes action items and sees them through to completion
· Recognizes ideas within casts and assigns action or parking lot items where appropriate
V. Perform other tasks assigned by Store Manager.
Attend store team meetings
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
· 3 years Supervisory experience in hiring, training & evaluating.
- Experience developing systems and procedures.
· Ability to handle multiple demands.
- Organized, attention to detail.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Ability to work with others in close quarters effectively.
- Excellent communication skills, both in listening to and directing others.
- Regular, predictable attendance; flexibility in scheduling.
- Willingness and ability to learn and grow to meet the changing requirements of the job.
- Commitment to the ongoing success of Wheatsville Co-op.
- Food Manager’s Certificate
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ability to project an outgoing, friendly, helpful personality.
- Experience serving the public.
- Required frequently: standing, walking, kneeling, squatting, bending, reaching, lifting up to 50 lbs.
THE FOLLOWING ARE EXPECTED OF ALL STAFF AT WHEATSVILLE:
- Knows and adheres to Wheatsville’s expectations for external and internal customer service as outlined in Employee Handbook.
- Offer product samples and suggestions for purchase and preparation in a friendly, courteous manner.
- Recognize and act on opportunities to make a customer’s day or to make it right for customers with complaints.
- Communicates openly and honestly with all others in the organization.
- Communicates respectfully at all times.
- Does not expose customers to internal disagreements.
- Resolves conflicts respectfully and in a timely manner, asks for assistance from appropriate supervisor as needed.
- Communicates needs promptly and efficiently.
- Participates actively in department team and all-staff meetings.
- Stays informed by reading all communications from the General Manager, managers, HR, and in department log books
- Knows and promotes the cooperative principles and values.
- Understands Wheatsville Food Co-op’s Mission.
- Knows Wheatsville Food Co-op and Co-op history.
- Gains and shares natural foods knowledge, continually accesses new information.
- Reports for scheduled shifts, on-time and ready to work.
- Understands and adheres to organizational and department policy and procedures.
- Accepts and offers feedback and suggestions openly and respectfully.
- Accepts direction willingly and follows through with delegated tasks.
- Learns and adapts to new tasks or situations quickly and cooperatively.
- Maintains job-related confidentiality.
- Takes initiative to identify, report and resolve problems before they escalate.
- Operates with a sense of teamwork; incorporates into daily job.
- Provides a positive model for co-workers.
Quality of Work:
- Understands technical requirements of job, applies technical knowledge consistently.
- Performs tasks accurately and efficiently, free from errors.
- Performs all tasks according to department procedure.
Quantity of Work:
- Performs tasks consistently at an acceptable rate as outlined by department supervisor.
- Organizes tasks efficiently, maintains focus and stays productive.
- Achieves established goals and expected results for the department.
- Maintains safe work environment according to all department procedures, federal and state regulations.
- Obtains and maintains any necessary licenses.
- Wears protective clothing as required for position.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER NOTICE:
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors and the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. The employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business, competitive considerations or the work environment change.