PURPOSE: To ensure smooth daily store operations, prompt and friendly customer service and a well maintained store appearance. The Store Manager coordinates and partners with direct reports regarding all aspects, but not limited to, personnel recruitment, training, performance management, compensation equity and discipline execution. Work with all direct reports to ensure fairness and equity for policy adherence. Creates a positive work environment and develops pro-active work relationships with direct reports to meet store goals for sales, margins, labor and customer service. Is a member of the management team.
REPORTS TO: Operations Director
SUPERVISES: Prepared Foods Manager, Front End Manager, Health and Body Care (HBC) Manager, Meat and Seafood Manager, Produce Manager, Grocery Operations Manager, Grocery Purchasing Manager, Manager on Duty.
- Ensure a strong management presence in the store at all times. Monitor direct report schedules. Review and approve direct report time-off requests. Assist in succession planning activities for department managers.
- Complete, deliver and follow-up on direct report performance evaluations. Make recommendations to Operations Director/CEO for compensation adjustments.
- Partner with Human Resources for recruiting efforts and participate in supervisory and management interviews in accordance with established guidelines.
- Ensure and attend regular department meetings in assigned departments. Review and implement departmental communications to ensure consistency across departmental lines.
- Coordinate operations between and among departments.
- Participate in quarterly inventories.
- Participate in development of the bi-annual operating budgets for all store departments. Instruct, monitor and adjust with departmental managers budget adherence.
- Monitor deviations from the budget, take corrective action and report action taken to Operations Director/CEO.
- Supervise significant personnel actions in the assigned departments in compliance with applicable State and Federal laws, and store policy and past practice. Make recommendations to Human Resources and Operations Director/CEO when needed.
- Attend management team meetings. Communicate appropriate total store information when necessary.
- Act as store liaison with vendors and outside representatives providing security, equipment and building/utility services.
- Ensure compliance with all government regulations relative to retail operations and food handling safety.
- Promote and comply with safety standards and OSHA regulations. Participate in quarterly Safety Committee meetings.
- Other duties as directed by the Operations Director/CEO.
- Retail store management, including supervisory experience: hiring, training, motivating, scheduling, goal setting.
- Ability to develop, read and interpret financial statements, establish margins and pricing.
- Knowledge of and experience with category management. Displaying a systematic, disciplined approach to managing a product category as a strategic business unit.
- Ability to plan, develop, execute and assess efficient retail operational systems and procedures.
- Demonstrated project management.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Exercise independent judgment on tasks.
- Demonstrated objectivity, neutrality and calmness under pressure.
- Organized; consistently follows through on commitments.
- Displayed experience in time management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, ability to provide clear directions. Regularly presenting to small and large groups.
- Basic command of computer skills. Microsoft Word, Excel, Email
- Knowledge of current trends in natural foods industry.
- 4-year degree or equivalent work experience
- Possession of a valid MN driver’s license with an acceptable driving record.
- Prolonged standing and walking on the sales floor
- Ability to perform continuous fine work and gripping with hands
- Corrected vision to enable reading small print
- Frequent reaching, bending, twisting, and rotating
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. repeatedly, occasionally more
- Ability to work outdoors, sometimes under extreme temperature and weather conditions
- Clear spoken English and ability to perceive spoken voice clearly
The information above is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. Wedge management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.