Cooperative Overview: The Clintonville Community Market is a member-owned, natural foods cooperative located just north of The Ohio State University campus. Founded in 1997, we have grown to be one of the main organic and natural food retailers in Columbus, specializing in locally-sourced, organic, and seasonal products, with gross sales of $2.5 million.
Position Summary: The General Manager is responsible for the overall operations of the Clintonville Community Market, for creating a cohesive and collegial workforce that is supportive and committed to the co-op’s success on behalf of its 1125 members and customers. The GM is supervised by the Board of Trustees and works closely with the Assistant Manager.
- Financial: Coordinate with Finance Com. the ongoing implementation of the operating budget, assessing and adjusting on an ongoing basis
- Human Resource: Direct employee hiring, supervising, hour allocation, training, and termination, maintaining consistency with all personnel policies and supporting a positive work environment that enables employees to successfully accomplish their work and build leadership
- Human Resource: Maintain positive working relationship with the UFCW union, implementing, in conjunction with the Assistant Manager, fair enforcement of the UFCW contract, including required documentation
- Operations (non-physical plant): Ensure compliance with all permit and licensing regulations and with city, state and federal tax requirements and obligations; ensure maintenance and security of all co-op property; address software systems needed for timely, effective, and useful information
- Operations (physical plant): Oversee major remodeling and maintenance projects, ongoing maintenance of equipment, including preventative maintenance, and effectiveness of store appearance and layout
- Planning: Work with the Board to develop and implement short and long term goals, and report regularly to the Board on current efforts with Operations, Financial Stabilization, Staff Development, Market Appearance, Marketing and Community Collaborations, and Tech Support
- Community Relationships: Build and maintain community partnerships, including with vendors, other local food co-ops, local organizations and events aligned with the Co-op mission
- Communications: Provide policy and oversight to ensure open communication with and between management, employees, trustees, vendors, member owners and customers
- Sales and Customer Service: Promote good sales practices among Staff, promote excellent customer service practices.
- Staff Training: Ensure adequate training of Staff in store operations, customer service, pricing, positive communication, and dispute resolution.
Ability to motivate employees and provide leadership for a cooperative work environment
Retail management experience; 2+ years, ideally in natural foods or grocery-related work
Supervisory experience: hiring, performance management; ideally 2+ years
Financial management experience, including developing and implementing budgets
Familiarity with natural and organic foods; knowledge of local food-related vendors highly desirable
Effective written and verbal interpersonal and communication skills
Experience with retail-related software for purposes of integrated IT capacity
Experience or familiarity with cooperative structure and values
Dispute resolution and and HR experience
Starting Pay: $28,000- $36,000 based on experience and qualifications. 2 weeks paid vacation, sick days, training allowance and employee discount.
Position Start Date: Immediate
Please send Resume and cover letter to [email protected].