This is a full time position, with benefits after 90-days. Please e-mail your resume and a brief description about yourself.
JOB SUMMARY: To assist the General Manager with the financial affairs of the Swarthmore Co-op by monitoring and analyzing its financial exposure; developing tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the Board, management and member-owners; ensuring the efficient and successful functioning of the Finance Department; supporting the achievement of co-op objectives and making actionable recommendations on both strategy and operations.
- Degree in accounting or financial management and/or a minimum of five years progressively responsible finance experience required.
- Full-charge bookkeeping experience; thorough knowledge of GAAP and regulations, policies and procedures which apply to accounting and financing.
- Ability to interpret financial reports for non-accountants.
- Familiarity with POS systems, preferably SMS Pro.
- Proficiency with computers, Microsoft Office Suite, and accounting software, preferably Focus.
- Experience in developing budgets and pro forma financial statements.
- Work history demonstrating the principles and practices of management and supervision, including hiring, training, motivating, and evaluating staff.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills – a good listener who provides clear directions.
- Ability to meet deadlines and follow through on commitments with minimal supervision.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Familiarity with Cooperative Principles and the cooperative business model preferred.
- Successfully pass criminal background check and credit check.
- Ability to exercise considerable discretion and judgment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the business.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Exhibit, coach, and reinforce world class customer service at all times.
- Work cooperatively in all situations with the general manager, managers, staff, and customers.
- Exhibit, coach & encourage high standards of ethics, honesty, trust, accountability and respect.
- Develop financial business plans and forecasts.
- Prepare timely, accurate financial statements and related reports.
- Oversee cash flow planning and ensure availability of funds as needed.
- Prepare weekly payroll and ensure all payroll related forms and taxes are prepared and filed on time.
- Provide timely and accurate administration of accounts payable, cash receipts, and accounts receivable.
- Oversee preparation of month-end, quarter-end and year-end financial statements.
- Coordinate preparation of annual capital, balance sheet, income statement and cash flow budgets.
- Monitor deviations from budget and inform management.
- Ensure all taxes and licenses are prepared and paid on time.
- Work with the auditing firm to complete reviews and audits.
- Manage the co-op’s business insurance program.
- Assist GM and department managers in developing and maintaining vendor relationships.
- Monitor vendor pricing as needed to check for deviations,
- Represent the company to financial partners, including financial institutions, auditors, real estate counsel; participate in negotiating new leases or lease renewals
- Attend monthly Board meetings, serve on the Finance committee and attend other committee meetings as required.
- Attend training sessions as necessary.
FINANCIAL STAFF MANAGEMENT
- Set departmental financial goals and develop structure for administrative department.
- Attend regular management and staff meetings.
- Develop and maintain staff schedule. Supervise and maintain effective work and break schedules. Use time clock system to review and approve hours.
- Monitor staff performance to ensure compliance with department policies and procedures.
- Train and develop departmental staff; monitor employee’s work performance. Conduct timely, thorough and thoughtful performance evaluations.
- Communicate standards, expectations, and policy changes to staff.
- Abide by all Co-op policies and procedures as specified in the Swarthmore Co-op Employee Handbook.
- Ensure that communications to staff are timely, clear, direct, and respectful.
- Treat staff with consistency and fairness in a style appropriate to a cooperative work environment.
- Be a role model by providing excellent customer service to all employees and customers.
Bookkeeping, Accounts Payable
- Oversee bank reconciliations.
- Oversee bank deposits to ensure timeliness and accuracy.
- Oversee daily cash reconciliations to ensure money is being deposited in a timely manner.
- Ensure that accounts payable is paid correctly and in a timely manner.
- Monitor processing of invoices to ensure procedures are being followed.
- Keep current with technology advances as related to system improvements.
- Remain in a stationary position for long periods of time.
- Visual acuity to identify clearly reports, spreadsheets, bar codes, shelf tags, expiration dates.
- Perform repetitive tasks with ten-key, keyboard, and other office equipment.
- Visual acuity to perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading of invoices, financial reports, spreadsheets, and other detailed documents.
- Lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The job duties, responsibilities, skills, and the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. The employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business, competitive considerations or the work environment change.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.