The Willy Street Co-op, designated "Best Place to Work" in 2012 by Madison Magazine, is a natural foods cooperative with retail locations in both Madison and Middleton WI. We are looking for a Meat Manager to help us start up our new stand alone meat department at our Eastside store on Williamson Street. The Meat Managerensures the production of meat cuts and products for the store, runs an efficient, clean, well-stocked meat department, staffs the meat department with well-trained employees who provide excellent service, and is responsible for the attainment of positive operating results in the Meat Department.
This is a full time, salaried position with weekend availability required.
Please see the full job description below for the complete list of qualifications.
We offer an exceptional benefits package including health and dental insurance with no deductible, paid vacation and sick time, 401(k) matching, profit sharing, 20% employee discount and more.
Please apply online at:http://jobs.willystreet.coop/x/apply/a2me1efned2a and include a resume and cover letter no later than January 13th to be considered. EOE.
The pay range starts at $17.87/hour (~37,170 annual salary)
Reports to: Store Manager
To ensure production of meat cuts and products for any WSGC facility. To run an efficient, clean, well-stocked meat department with high quality products. To staff the meat department with well-trained employees who provide excellent service and products. The Meat Manager is responsible for the attainment of positive operating results in the Meat Department.http://gilligan/lib/tpl/wsgc2012/images/buttonshadow.png); float: right; display: inline; background-position: 50% 100%; background-repeat: repeat no-repeat;" title="Purpose" type="submit" value="Edit" />
Salaried position, 40 hours per week.http://gilligan/lib/tpl/wsgc2012/images/buttonshadow.png); float: right; display: inline; background-position: 50% 100%; background-repeat: repeat no-repeat;" title="Status" type="submit" value="Edit" />
Customer service is WSGC’s primary focus in providing food, goods, and services to its customers. It is the goal of the staff that all customers are treated in a respectful and courteous manner, paying close attention to their individual needs. This personal care and attention should be directed to all customers to ensue that shopping at the WSGC is as comfortable and satisfying an experience as possible.
- Treat customers in a friendly manner.
- Answer all product-related questions, especially those related to meat preparation and cuts.
- Ensure that all meat staff assist customers fully in a friendly and helpful manner.
- Resolve customer complaints in a fair and tactful manner.
- Ensure product information is readily available to customers
- Ensure an exciting product selection, researching new items, adding recipes as determined with the purchasing manager and removing slow sellers or discontinued items when necessary.
- Establish proper inventory levels for the department and ensure goods are ordered as needed.
- Maintain accurate cost-of-goods for each meat product sold. Set prices for all meat offerings based on cost-of-goods and margin goals.
- Maintain effective working relations with suppliers.
- Work closely with the FoG staff to ensure accurate data management including inventory numbers, ingredients, recipes and correct pricing.
- Assist as needed with daily operations, routines, and procedures.
- Create production levels based on customer or other Co-op facility needs and sales
- Ensure proper invoicing of wholesale customers.
- Establish proper receiving protocols that ensure delivery quality and accurate quantities per invoice
- Record quantity of meat received and issued to cooks and keep records of meat transfers.
- Know how to use all department equipment (including: scales, appliances, ovens, etc.).
- Cut, trim, bone, tie, and grind meats, such as beef, pork, poultry, and fish, to prepare meat in cooking form.
- Shape, lace, and tie roasts, using boning knife, skewer, and twine.
- Cure, smoke, tenderize and preserve meat.
- Assure a safe, efficient, and clean meat department, establishing and maintaining safety and cleanliness standards.
- Ensure compliance with all laws, rules and regulations pertaining to the Meat Department
- Prepare for Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection and other inspections
- Ensure daily temperature and production logs are maintained accurately
Having a well-trained and effective staff is essential to the smooth functioning of the meat department. The Meat Manager is responsible for participating in hiring, motivating, and generally overseeing the meat staff.
- Determine optimal staffing levels in line with approved labor to sales ratios.
- Making final hiring decisions
- Monitor staff performance to ensure that all staff are following department policies and procedures. Intervene and assist where necessary.
- Regularly meet with the meat staff to discuss issues concerning the department.
- Set a positive example for employees.
- Review the weekly employee work schedule and organize the daily activities of the staff to ensure maximum productivity and efficiency.
- Train staff in rules and regulations affecting the Meat Department. Coach and counsel employees to improve performance in job duties and responsibilities using the meat daily operations guidelines
- Take responsibility for ongoing training and staff development, including attending trainings to expand professional potential and, by extension, the potential of the department.
- Formally evaluate employees according to the established review schedule.
- Work with the Store Manager to develop short and long-range department goals and plans. Implement those plans.
- Work with the Store Manager to develop and implement budgets, sales objectives, and margins to achieve profitability.
- Ensure oversight of facility licensing and general filing/maintenance of reports
- Monitor and maintain department supplies.
- Organize meat inventory as requested.
- Write articles for the reader as requested.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Store Manager.
- Take initiative to increase your own product knowledge.
- Orient and be helpful to new employees.
- Set a positive example for co-workers.
- Communicate in a professional manner and with respect.
- Write an annual self-evaluation.
- Participate in required trainings.
- Participate in co-worker evaluations.
- Provide customer service in other areas of the store as needed.
- Answer phones as necessary.
- Ability to judge grades of meat
- 2-4 years butcher experience
- Management experience and leadership skills
- Knowledge of HACCP plan and Servsafe principles
- Ability to work independently
- Experience with service in a retail environment.
- Knowledge of and experience maintaining sanitation.
- Knowledge of whole, natural, and organic foods.
- Excellent sense of organization and follow through on commitments.
- Ability to develop and maintain favorable relations with customers, staff, and vendors.
- Excellent communications skills.
- Effective problem solving skills
- Ability to handle multiple demands.
- Ability to handle stressful situations in a calm, effective manner.
- Basic understanding of the cooperative movement and principles.
- Excellent and consistent customer service skills.
- Ability to safely use all meat equipment
- Ability to properly and safely lift up to 50 pounds