Please see below for job description.
Please apply online and include a resume and cover letter no later than July 8th to be considered. EOE.
The Willy Street Co-op, designated "Best Place to Work" in 2012 by Madison Magazine, is a natural foods cooperative with retail locations in both Madison and Middleton. We are looking for a Grocery Manager for our Middleton store. The Grocery Manager ensures effective inventory control and provides a safe, attractive and efficient department staffed with well-trained employees who provide excellent customer service. This is a full time, salaried position. Excellent people managing skills and experience required, along with knowledge of whole, natural and organic foods.
We offer an exceptional benefits package including fully paid health and dental insurance with no deductible, paid vacation, sick and holiday time, 401(k) matching, profit sharing, 20% employee discount and more. Please apply online at: http://jobs.willystreet.coop/x/apply/a2me1efrcsnq and include a resume and cover letter no later than July 8th to be considered. EOE.
The pay range starts at $20.09/hour (~41,780 annual salary)
WILLIAMSON STREET GROCERY COOPERATIVE
Job Title: Grocery Manager
To ensure effective inventory control. To provide a safe, attractive, and efficient department staffed with well-trained employees who provide excellent customer service. The Grocery Manager is responsible for the attainment of positive operating results in the Grocery Department Reports to: Store Manager
Salaried position, 40 hours per week. Direct Reports:
1. Customer service
Customer service is WSGC's primary focus in providing food, goods, and services to its customers. It is the goal of the staff that all customers are treated in a respectful and courteous manner, paying close attention to their individual needs. This personal care and attention should be directed to all customers to ensure that shopping at the WSGC is as comfortable and satisfying an experience as possible. The Grocery Manager is not only responsible for providing excellent customer service himself, but also for training and assisting the grocery staff in their customer service skills.
- Ensure department employees treat customers in a friendly and helpful manner.
- Ensure department employees assist customers fully and answer their questions, needs, and requests.
- Resolve customer complaints in a fair and tactful manner.
- Encourage and answer all customer suggestions, requests and complaints pertaining to grocery.
2. Department Management
- Oversee and manage all replenishment buying and stocking of the entire grocery line, including packaged grocery, bulk, dairy and frozen.
- Work with the Grocery Category Manager to determine product mix to achieve sales and margin goals and satisfy customer demand.
- Work closely with the Grocery Category Manager on department items such as resets, endcaps, brands, promos, buyins, vendors, pricing, signage, and customer comments
- Keep abreast of changing shopper needs,recommend product adjustments to the Grocery Category Manager.
- Maintain Merchandising attractively and purposefully, in conjunction with Grocery Category Manager.
- Implement effective promotional programs, displays and signage at the direction of the Grocery Category Manager
- Ensure proper storage and rotation of all product.
- Work with grocery staff to assure an excellent overall department presentation including fully stocked cases, shelves and endcaps. The department should be clean, attractive and safe at all times with complete and accurate signs and shelf tags.
- Determine optimum stock levels and ensure they are maintained.
- Order product in quantities adequate to maintain fully stocked sets, while keeping inventory low enough to ensure optimal freshness, and to keep backstock to a minimum. Assist Grocery Buyers with this task
- Maintain effective working relations with suppliers
- Work with Flow of Goods Manager to schedule delivery of small vendor goods and oversee in-store and product receiving to ensure that accurate invoicing, pricing, credits and returns, coding, and invoice routing is executed.
- Work closely with FoG to ensure accurate inventory numbers and display correct pricing signage for all merchandise.
- Ensure all signs and shelf tags are accurate.
- Assist as needed with daily operations, routines and prcedures
Having a well trained and effective staff is essential to the smooth functioning of the Grocery Department. The Grocery Manager, is responsible for selecting, educating, motivating, and generally overseeing the grocery staff.
- Determine optimal staffing levels in line with approved labor expense to sales ratios.
- Work with Human Resources to staff the grocery department.
- Make final selection of grocery employees and ensure that they receive appropriate customer service and grocery training.
- Write the weekly employee work schedule and organize the daily activities of the staff to ensure maximum productivity and efficiency.
- Train, coach, and counsel employees to improve performance in job duties and responsibilities using the grocery daily operations guidelines.
- Monitor staff performance to ensure all staff are following department policies and procedures. Intervene and assist where necessary.
- Formally evaluate employees according to the established review schedule.
- Regularly meet with grocery staff to discuss issues concerning the department.
- Set a positive example for employees.
- Work with the Store Manager to develop short and long range department goals and plans. Implement those plans.
- Implement approved budgets and meet sales objectives leading to positive operating results.
- Complete timely and accurate department reports
- Work with the Art Coordinator to maintain color schemes, graphic styles, seasonal themes, and signage in line with the entire co-op.
- Read trade journals and attend trade shows to stay abreast of current industry trends.
- Monitor and maintain department supplies.
- Organize quarterly grocery inventory.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Store Manager.
- Experience with effectively merchandising grocery categories to support sales
- Knowledge of use and preparation of whole, natural, and organic foods.
- Knowledge of local, organic and natural food movements
- At least 2 years experience in purchasing and inventory control.
- Ability to analyze budgets and sales reports
- At least one year of experience training and supervising staff.
- Ability to cover all positions in the grocery department
- Ability to manage multiple demands and meet deadlines
- Ability to develop and maintain mutually respectful relations with customers, staff, and vendors.
- Ability to work independently and motivate self and others.
- Ability to handle stressful situations in a clam, effective manner.
- Excellent and consistent customer service skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Effective problem solving skills
- Ability to properly lift 50 pounds.