Apply by completing the application process at: https://home2.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=6889742
The Marketing Director will be responsible for the overall operations of Central Co-op’s Marketing, Owner Services, and Community Outreach department. This position will manage the personnel and processes of these departments to ensure consistency in general management practices, adherence to labor guidelines, and administration of policies and procedures. The position will be responsible for: Central Co-op’s advertising, messaging, and community relations; department expenses, productivity, cleanliness, customer service standards, and general functionality. The Marketing Director works closely with the General Manager and other senior leaders, to develop and implement strategic goals to uphold the values of Central Co-op and honor the Cooperative Principles.
Reports to: General Manager (GM)
Supervises: Marketing and Public Affairs Administrator, Owner Services Manager, Community Outreach Administrator, and Cooperative Advancement Clerks
FLSA Status: Exempt
Rate of Pay: Director Scale
- Under the direction of the General Manager and as a member of the Management Team, develops and creates tactical plans, goals, and objectives that align with Central Co-op’s organizational strategy.
- Directs the work and oversees the implementation of creative funding strategies, maintenance of the community donation and outreach programs and activities, production of cooperative newsletters and other written and visual communications, and tactics that strengthen community partnerships.
- Develops annual department budget and other reports and documents as needed.
Department Operations and Community/Customer Experience
- In collaboration with leadership; creates, develops, communicates, implements and evaluates operating standards and procedures and makes adjustments as needed. Procedures include, but are not limited to: internal/external messaging, media relations, cleanliness, safety/security, customer service standards, and partnerships with the community and the Co-op’s educational programs.
- Promotes membership/ownership programs through healthy marketing efforts.
- Offers and ensures that information for newsletters, promotions/advertising, and media/customer inquiries are received and delivered according to procedure.
- Lead and ensure Central Co-op’s marketing initiatives are upheld throughout the Co-op.
- Models, provides and ensures our customers receive prompt, friendly and courteous service. Assists as needed with customer service questions and resolving customer issues, concerns and complaints. Provides training and coaching to staff as needed.
- Maintains a calm and friendly demeanor with unsatisfied and/or difficult customers.
- Represents the Co-op in special interest groups and other community groups.
- Ensures employee breaks are taken in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement.
- Addresses daily attendance issues per procedure and re-allocates labor as needed.
- Oversees the maintenance and upkeep of the membership/ownership data base.
Employee Management and Development
- Establishes clear expectations for direct reports with a means to hold each other accountable to ensure expectations are met and offers support to meet expectations.
- Interviews and hires employees according to Co-op procedures.
- Establishes procedures to ensure proper administration of department programs.
- Conducts regular performance evaluations and creates training and development opportunities that enhance the employee’s abilities and builds upon their skills, knowledge and abilities
- Supervises work performance and conduct of personnel and upholds Central Co-op’s performance management practices of offering progressive corrective action and staff recognition as needed and in accordance with Co-op policies, procedures, labor and legal guidelines.
- Facilitates regular team and/or department meetings.
- Models behaviors that support the values of Central Co-op, through supportive and participatory leadership qualities, promoting cooperative team building and motivating staff to achieve goals.
Safety and Security
- Ensures that all department personnel learn and use safe practices per Central Co-op’s Accident Prevention Program and addresses safety and security concerns promptly.
- Supports the Co-op’s security and safety protocols and establishes strong departmental control measures.
- Maintains equipment in working order; researches and recommends equipment repair and replacement options as needed.
- Supports the values of the cooperative principles in their daily work.
- Compiles or contributes to reports as requested.
- Provides store support and acts as a manager on duty as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
LEADERSHIP GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Upholds daily Central Co-op’s Customer Service Standards.
- Models outstanding customer service by putting the interest of the customers first.
- Knows and adheres to quality standards for customer service as outlined by the General Manager.
- Adheres to all guidelines around product recommendation and information.
- Ensures that Central Co-op employees address customer questions, complaints, and suggestions in a timely and respectful manner.
- Ensures adequate training and development of customer service procedures for department personnel and offers coaching, counseling and/or corrective action to ensure excellent and consistent customer service.
- Assists in other departments as needed.
- Communicates openly, honestly, professionally and in a manner that is mutually respectful.
- Does not expose customers and/or vendors to internal disagreements.
- Speaks in one voice along with the General Manager as well as the rest of the management team.
- Resolves conflicts respectfully, holistically and directly with the individual/s in a timely manner and asks for assistance from appropriate personnel as needed.
- Checks mailbox and email regularly and at least once per shift.
- Participates actively in department and all-staff meetings and/or retreats.
- Advances consistency of service and messaging throughout the Co-op.
- Knows and promotes the cooperative identity.
- Understands and supports Central Co-op’s purpose, mission and values (PMV).
- Knowledgeable about Central Co-op and Co-op history.
- Operates daily in a manner that supports cooperative teamwork, financially sound principles, self-accountability, empowerment and respect for others.
- Monitors department personnel to ensure practices support the cooperative principles and Central Co-op’s values.
- Reports to work for scheduled commitments to fulfill position responsibilities.
- Arrive to work appropriately dressed.
- Always exhibit behaviors that are consistent with Central Co-op’s sustainable business practices and exhibits professional maturity that respects the financial, social, and environmental bottom lines of the business.
- Understands and adheres to organizational and departmental policies, practices and procedures.
- Makes sound decisions that benefit the customer, other employees and the Co-op in all situations; and ensure that decisions are aligned with the strategic direction of the organization.
- Offers support, training and/or development to others and makes recommendations for support, training and/or development to appropriate personnel.
- Utilizes workplace reference tools for guidance, such as: employee handbook, collective bargaining agreements, board of trustees and worker body team minutes, and etc.
- Accepts and offers feedback and suggestions openly and in a manner that respects the inherent value of the individual.
- Accepts direction willingly and follows through with delegated tasks.
- Learns and adapts to new tasks or situations in a timely manner.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Dependable in the absence of immediate management.
- Takes initiative to identify, report and resolve problems before they escalate.
- Practice good self-care and maintains a healthful work-life balance.
- Availability to work evenings, weekends and holidays as needed.
- Provides positive role-modeling for co-workers.
- Understands technical requirements of the job and applies technical knowledge consistently.
- Performs tasks accurately, efficiently and error-free.
- Performs all tasks according to department and Co-op procedures.
- Performs tasks consistently and at an acceptable rate as outlined by the General Manager.
- Organizes tasks efficiently, maintains focus and stays productive.
- Achieves established goals and expected results for the department.
- Maintains a safe work environment according to Central Co-op’s Accident Prevention Program, department procedures, federal, state, county and city regulations.
Required Essential Skills and Experience:
- 3+ years of experience in management and/or supervision.
- 4+ year’s progressive experience in marketing or advertising or 1 – 2 years of experience along with a marketing or public relations degree.
- 1+ years’ experience as a spokesperson or media liaison (or marketing or public relations degree).
- Demonstrated superior oral and written communication ability and able to work with diverse communities.
- Experience creating and producing print and digital advertisements that support a brand and marketing strategy.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to prioritize projects and tasks to meet the needs of the Co-op.
- Ability to work productively and independently with little to no supervision.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook) and MS Publisher.
- Proven ability to set and achieve department and organizational goals.
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent certificate.
- Desire to determine, foster and develop the best qualities and contributions of department personnel.
- Travel may be required and may include overnight stays.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge and/or experience in natural foods and/or cooperative models.
- Familiarity with labor relations and union contracts.
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Public Relations or Marketing/Advertising, Communications and/or related degree or comparable experiences.
- Experience managing the brand of a mission and values driven institution.
- Frequently: Repetitive wrist, hand and arm movements (typing), reaching, bending, stooping, and sitting.
- Occasionally: Standing and walking.
Important Disclaimer Notice:
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors and the requirements and conditions listed in the job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. The employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business, competitive considerations or the work environment change.