OLD CREAMERY CO-OP
KITCHEN LEADER JOB DESCRIPTION
Purpose: To operate a service deli and bakery and to meet objectives for sales, margin and customer service.
Status: Reports to General Manager. Supervises Bakery, Prepared Foods and Deli staff.
Major Responsibilities: Sales, Margin, Labor Targets, Customer Service, Personnel, Merchandising, Purchasing, Department Safety and Department Teamwork.
- Responsible for working with GM to create quarterly department budget and for keeping within parameters for sales, margin, and labor expenses.
- Serves as a model to other staff in assisting customers with product questions in prompt, friendly and curteous manner. Ensures all department staff do same.
- Knowledgeable about all products. Takes time to answer questions accurately.
- Provides product information for the customers and staff.
- Interview and select qualified candidates with assistance from General Manager.
- Ensure on the job training for the new staff and re-training if required.
- Ensures staffing schedule is posted on a timely basis.
- Develop and update performance standards.
- Distribute, collate and conduct staff evaluations on a timely basis.
- Take disciplinary action as needed following established procedures.
- Organize and conduct regular department staff meetings.
- Select deli offerings to provide both variety and consistency.
- Research and develop new recipes.
- Plan attractive displays; ensure displays are fully stocked and rotated for freshness.
- Visit other delis for price comparisons, ideas for displays and products.
- Attend marketing meetings when necessary.
- Negotiate with suppliers for favorable terms, prices, quality and delivery.
- Evaluate suppliers and investigate new sources of supply.
- Receive orders or ensure proper receiving by staff.
- Coordinate returns and credit from suppliers when applicable.
- Review invoices for accuracy; break into inventory categories and route to bookkeeping for payment.
- Ensure food prep and display areas are maintained in clean, orderly condition meeting health department standards.
- Ensure proper storage and labeling procedures.
- Prepare for and coordinate quarterly department inventory.
- Ensure adequate amounts of deli supplies.
- Maintain department equipment in working order. Advise General Manager of equipment repair or replacement needs.
- Handles hazardous equipment carefully. Never leaves anything out where it could injure others. Ensures all department staff do same.
- Conscientious and trains department staff on proper lifting procedures.
- Mindful of potential hazards to customers and employees and takes time to correct hazards.
- Ensures department teamwork through trust and communication.
- Accepts responsibility for personal decisions and actions.
- Maintain accurate up to date costs of deli items in scanning system.
- Ensures system data is organized to create efficient and accurate rings at register.
Other tasks as assigned by General Manager.
- Experience running a deli, food service, catering or restaurant.
- Familiarity with natural foods.
- Thorough knowledge of food safety standards.
- Experience serving the public.
- Excellent communication skills – good listener, clear communicator.
- Demonstrated ability to follow through on commitments.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple demands.
- Supervisory experience; hiring, training, evaluating, directing.
- Able to life at least 50 pounds.