Full-time, reports to Store Manager
Job Summary: Responsible for the Grocery sub-departments, this position oversees the buying and stocking for all areas of grocery including Dry Goods/General Merchandise, Bulk, Perishables and Frozen. This position oversees the overnight operations of the Grocery depts to assure additional stocking, merchandising and cleaning is maintained during non-operational hours.
Responsible for establishing and coordinating department activities in accordance with co-op policies and sound business practices. Manages Grocery departments while assuring growth, excellent customer service, product selection, quality control, profitability, and operating-cost reduction.
Supervise employees in Dry Goods, Perishables, Bulk and Frozen. Responsible for hiring, coaching, development, performance evaluation, and corrective action for department employees.
The positions reporting to the Grocery Manager include, but are not limited to:
- Assistant Grocery Manager
- Assistant 3rd Shift Grocery Manager
- Bulk Team Leader
- Perishables Team Leader
- Dry Goods Team Leader
- Assistant Grocery Buyer(s)
- Grocery Shift Coordinators
- Grocery Stocker(s)
- Third Shift Team Lead
- Third Shift Stocker(s)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Coordinate the grocery department’s strategic plans with regard to products, promotions, stocking,
• Assist with forecasting, implementing and monitoring, the grocery department's operating budget.
• Select, develop, supervise and evaluate the performance of employees in the Grocery
• Develop and maintain favorable relations with staff, members, customers, and vendors.
• Develop and maintain favorable relations with non-revenue generating depts. such as Receiving,
Facilities to ensure sound receiving practices for Buyers, case/equipment maintenance are
maintained for positive operating results.
• Work with Assistant Grocery Manager, , Grocery Team Leaders and Merchandising Manager and Store Merchandiser to:
- Ensure pricing strategies obtain margin goals and turnover rates.
- Guide product selection, category management and product placement.
- Ensure appropriate purchasing practices and inventory levels.
- Ensure development and maintenance of good vendor relationships.
- Assist with soliciting suppliers for promotional offerings.
- Oversee stocking priorities by keeping shelves well stocked and attractive.
- Maintain promotional displays, and end caps.
- Keep accurate stock loss records.Maintain acceptable inventory levels, utilizing all back storage areas effectively and efficiently.
• Ensure adherence to store-wide promotional programs.
• Assist Store Manager with merchandising and marketing in order to educate and inform the
membership and the community at large.
• Ensure that all hours in the depts., including overnight operations are well staffed in accordance
with needs of the business.
• Model and demonstrate a willingness to provide outstanding service in all areas of the job with a
constant focus on customer service.
• Contribute to the financial health of ORC by:
a.) Meeting or exceeding sales and margin goals.
b.) Staying within the department's labor budget.
• Coordinate periodic inventory counts.
• Ensure the maintenance, organization, and cleanliness of equipment and work areas.
• Ensure compliance with all State and OSHA regulations and requirements.
• Be responsible for safety in the workplace by creating a safe work environment, addressing safety
concerns and adhering to all safety rules and regulations.
• Keep abreast of industry knowledge and conditions of current local market through self-education.
• Provide that at least one staff person is trained, and is willing and capable, to assume all the
duties of this position should the need arise.
• To meet expectations of regular, predictable attendance including early mornings, evenings,
overnight and weekends.
• Attend all required meetings, training, seminars and workshops.
• Be a team player. A team player is defined by the Co-op as "the willingness to consider the effects
of one's own decisions on others. The ability to focus on larger Co-op goals rather than individual
• Perform other duties as requested.
Accountable for Key Financial Responsibilities
Sales per Labor Hour
Number of Employees
Reporting to Store Manager, the Grocery Manager is responsible for attaining positive operating results as part of the operations team. S/he oversees the buying, stocking, and assisting in merchandising of all grocery products. S/he ensures a courteous and efficient department, and well-
trained employees who provide excellent service to members/customers.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• At least 2-5 years supervisory experience: hiring, training, evaluating performance
• Proven ability to manage and motivate staff
• Ability to develop and implement budgets and adhere to cost and margin requirements
• Experience serving the public, ability to project a friendly, outgoing personality
• Capable of working well independently and with others in a cooperative environment where
teamwork and constant communication are essential
• Demonstrated ability to handle multiple demands and prioritize effectively
• Proven experience developing operations systems and procedures
• Demonstrated experience and success with retail management
• Excellent sense of organization and follow through on commitments
• Excellent communications skills
• Ability to handle stressful situations in a calm, effective manner
• Basic understanding of the cooperative organizational structure and principles
Privy to confidential employee and business documents such as financials, salary and individual employee performance information, organizational projections and strategies. High degree of confidentiality and discretion required.
Decision Making Authority
Direct work of others, primarily hands on, immediate and long-range planning, tactical and strategic thinking. Decisions of broad consequence with moderate external input.
Demonstrate clear and expressive verbal and written communication skills, as well as genuine active listening skills. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business
correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from employees, managers, customers and general public.
Must be able to sit or stand, use hands to finger, handle and feel, talk or hear, see at a distance of 20 inches or less, taste or smell, occasionally lift 50-80 lbs. Noise level in work environment is moderate.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rates, ratios and percentages and to draw/interpret financial reports.
Ability to operate and understand mechanical functions and equipment. Computer usage required.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent retail work experience.
• Minimum of 2-5 years retail or related management experience.
• Knowledge of natural and conventional foods and the food industry required.
• Experience managing employees required.
Excellence in this position
• Sense of humor!
• Proactive with regard to creative self-learning and professional development.
• Commitment to superior customer service.
• Demonstrated ability to follow through on commitments.