Wellness Department Manager
Do you have a passion for local, organic and natural foods? Do you want to live on the beautiful Olympic Peninsula in evergreen Washington State and enjoy the thriving arts community in Port Townsend? Enjoy the outdoor recreation, maritime heritage, victorian seaport, mild weather (We have HALF the rain of Seattle!) and thriving arts community. The member-owned Food Co-op in Port Townsend is a community gem and we are seeking a full-time Wellness Department Manager $19.82 - 24.78/hr entry DOQ + full benefits! Please visit… .. BE WHERE YOU WANT TO BE NOW!
The Wellness Manager is responsible for achieving positive operating results following Co-op policies and purchasing guidelines, while ensuring the highest level of customer service to the internal and external customers of the Co-op. Working under the supervision of the Store Manager, this position manages and supervises the daily operations, activities and staffing of the Wellness Department.
Essential Functions / Responsibilities:
- Models supportive and participatory leadership qualities, promotes team building and motivates staff to provide excellent customer service and achieve their stated objectives.
- Treats staff and managers with consistency and fairness, in a style appropriate to a cooperative work environment.
- Ensures that communications are clear, direct and respectful.
- Ensures the integrity of the Co-op’s stated values in decision-making and in interactions with others.
- Ensures professional and friendly service from all Wellness staff.
- Acts as a model to all employees by following Co-op policies and supporting the mission and strategic goals of the Co-op.
- Attends all meetings, as required.
Wellness & Store Operations:
- Develops and implements approved short and long-range department goals and plans.
- Develops and implements approved budgets, sales objectives, margins, and markdowns leading to positive operating results.
- Provides acceptable explanation of variances from budgets and plans.
- Ensures effective promotion and pricing of products by utilizing signage and information, as well as recipes and vendor deals.
- Participates in planning store advertising with the Store Manager, Marketing Department and other staff.
- Ensures that optimum stock levels are maintained based upon movement reports.
- Purchases products consistent with Co-op guidelines and approved inventory levels with consideration to inventory turns and controlled shrinkage.
- Monitors and takes action in those areas contributing to shrink, such as loss of product, spoilage, spills, breakage and theft.
- Works in conjunction with all other Departmental Managers, to establish good cross-team communication, coordination and community relations.
- Maintains effective working relations with suppliers, vendors and other co-op partners.
- Accountable for attractive displays and consistent stock rotation. Works with the SIPS Manager on inventory control, turns, and margin goals for all Wellness categories.
Department Maintenance/Safety and Sanitation:
- Responsible for the proper functioning of all department equipment.
- Ensures that all department equipment is used appropriately and well-maintained.
- Ensures receiving and back stock areas are clean and safe.
- Ensures department is attractive, well organized and clean.
- Responsible for upholding health department regulations, safety requirements, and store policies and procedures.
- Develops and upholds performance standards for all Wellness staff.
- Ensures that the staffing schedules are posted within guidelines, and in line with approved labor expense budget and quarterly labor costs. Ensures coverage of vacant shifts without compromising departmental efficiencies.
- Hires qualified Wellness staff within established hiring policies and procedures.
- Ensures training for all department staff, and timely completion of training protocols and checklists.
- Oversees daily activities to ensure maximum customer service, productivity and efficiency.
- Ensures timely, thorough and thoughtful performance evaluations of Wellness Team members.
- Ensures that employees know and adhere to department and store policies and procedures.
- Motivates and provides staff with the tools, materials and training required to ensure high quality, safe and efficient job performance.
- Takes corrective counseling measures and/or disciplinary action, as needed, for all department staff, according to established personnel policies and guidelines.
- Ensures that effective communication with staff is maintained via The Food Co-op’s communication tools (i.e.-departmental meetings, OneNote).
- Develops monitors and maintains accurate written procedures for the department.
- Ensures departmental orders are placed according to Co-op guidelines and vendor commitments.
- Ensures adequate inventory and stocking of departmental supplies.
Product & Store Knowledge:
- Stays current on product and store knowledge, customer needs, wellness trends and regulations regarding supplements.
- Keeps up-to-date on best vendor and supplier options for purchase of highest quality products consistent with Co-op values, goals and fiscal parameters.
- Provides product information for staff training and marketing purposes.
- Writes, reviews and edits articles applicable to the department, including the Co-op Commons newsletter and other communications, as needed/assigned.
Budgeting and Planning:
- In coordination with Store Manager provides input on annual labor and operating budget for the Wellness Department according to established productivity, labor and departmental goals.
- Provides input on department’s capital needs.
- Reviews and analyzes departmental financial data (i.e.-sales, invoice pricing, labor, margin, turns, shrink) and takes action, as needed, to ensure compliance with departmental goals.
- Ensures effective coordination of Open Book Management (OBM) departmental meetings; monitoring of fiscal performance consistent with OBM guidelines. Attends/participates and encourages staff involvement in storewide OBM meetings and initiatives.
Education: Associate degree or equivalent experience. Valid Food Worker Card issued in WA, or acquired within 2 weeks of hire.
Experience: 3-5 years of retail experience required, preferably in a natural food, nutrition or co-op setting. Demonstrated experience in supervision, delegation and team building required. Experience with natural foods, wellness and/or supplements strongly preferred. Supervisory or management experience strongly preferred.
Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities):
- Ability to work a variable schedule, including early mornings, evenings and weekends.
- Ability to handle multiple demands in a fast paced environment, work under time pressures and meet deadlines.
- Ability to be open, learn and take on new responsibilities.
- Ability to be objective, neutral and calm under pressure.
- Ability to maintain regular, predictable attendance.
- Ability to effectively train and motivate (provide leadership to) department employees.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, delegate, and handle multiple tasks and projects with limited direct supervision.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to use basic math to accurately calculate prices, invoices, margins and understand/prepare departmental budgets and Open Book Management benchmarks.
- Ability to maintain accurate records,
- Ability to read, comprehend and follow-through with instructions.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Ability to maintain proprietary, financial and other sensitive information in a confidential manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, with all levels of staff and customers about product information, store procedures and departmental needs.
- Ability to effectively delegate work duties.
- Ability to read and analyze department financial reports, invoices, and make sound business decisions.
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently to accomplish tasks in a timely manner.
- Knowledge of basic computer skills, including a basic working knowledge of Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Ability to lift and move up to 25-40 pounds regularly, and up to 50 pounds occasionally during an 8 hour shift.
- Ability to sit, stand, bend, crouch, climb, reach and walk during majority of shift and up to 8 hours.
- Ability to use a step ladder occasionally.
- Ability to perform basic math to accurately calculate prices, totals, count change etc.
- Ability to operate a computer, phone, calculator and other office equipment.
- Ability to safely use and operate tools and equipment such as box cutter, knives, pallet jack, step ladders and other equipment.