Draft Policy Register
Started by Doug Walter, Membership Director, Davis Food Co-op / CGN Treasurer, on Thu 18 Jul 2013
Here's what Ben Nauman wrote when he distributed this draft:
A couple notes:
- John Eicholz and Martha Whitman volunteered last year to champion the effort on the development of these policies. We used the policy register of another organization (FCI) as our starting place and then in January of 2013 the Board started reviewing sections of that on each of our monthly calls through May, adopting by vote of the Board each section (and we did make a few revisions along the way). The revisions were captured in the Board’s minutes for each of the meetings starting in January 2013. John was intending to bring us a complete register for our next call, but was required to resign from the Board since our June meeting and wasn’t able to attend to that work. Leading up to our June meeting, the two outstanding pieces of work on the register were our Ends and policy B6 which in the original draft we were working from was the “Staff Treatment and Compensation” policy. We tabled further discussion of B6 until June because we were uncomfortable with having a “Staff Treatment” policy without actually having staff. The Ends policy we crafted together with some skilled assistance from Michael Healy in June. The intent then, even though we’ve voted for each policy along the way, was for us to as one of our next steps, vote as a Board to adopt the entire and complete (at least for now) policy register.
- In John’s absence and with some great support from Danny, I’ve gone through and reviewed the register and each month’s minutes since January to make sure we captured the Board’s intent from our calls in the draft register; I have not however had time (or accessibility) to review our call recordings to resolve any potential omissions or unresolved questions. I made note of a few places where the language in the register hadn’t yet been updated to reflect the decision made by the Board (and used the “Review” function to highlight those for you). The items I see outstanding for us before we can adopt the register in its totality are:
- We need dates for D4; Martha has given us a proposal for consideration on our call this month.
- On our February call there was some discussion, driven by now-retired Director Jane Harter in our consideration of policy C-5, the “Director’s Code of Conduct” of the insertion of the language “cooperative values” (initially proposed as cooperative principles) in that policy. I think the underlying interest in including this language was that whether the principles or the values, the Board should use them as a guidepost in our conduct. Unfortunately the minutes that I have aren’t completely clear in terms of whether we decided against including that language. I do recall Doug pointing out that though we are not actually a cooperative, we are not precluded from making a policy-level commitment to the cooperative values. Since our minutes don’t reflect any revision based on that discussion and we have adopted those minutes, I’m inclined to simply assume that we did not opt in favor of incorporating a reference to the cooperative values in our “Director’s Code of Conduct” policy. I raise it here only because if others felt strongly that we ought to have that or even that the Board did in fact support the inclusion but it somehow didn’t make it into the minutes, then we should resolve that before we adopt the register.
- At our Austin Meeting in June we had some discussion on the “Staff Treatment and Compensation” policy and we effectively decided, without actually referencing the policy language itself, that we would simply strike that policy from our register because it was conceptually a bad fit since our organization has no staff. What I think we failed to recognize in so doing is that that policy has two elements: 1. Staff Treatment, and 2. Compensation (for the ED). Rather than completely strike the “B6” policy then, I would like to propose that we simply strike the “Staff Treatment” portion of that policy and leave the rest intact. The attached includes my proposal for that policy.
- In C5, there’s a word missing and it was also missing in the original draft of the register we started this work with. I believe the intended word is something like, “organization” or “association” or even “CGIN” (the preceding “the” wouldn’t be needed if we used CGIN). We should pick a word and insert it.