If you want to reach cooperative retailers throughout North America, Cooperative Grocer is ideally suited for your purpose.
Call Dan Nordley at 612/436-9177 or email: [email protected]
Cooperative Grocer is a bi-monthly magazine distributed throughout the U.S. and Canada to cooperatively owned food retails. It is the only trade magazine for co-op managers, buyers, directors and other leaders of these businesses. The editorial copy is aimed at improving all aspects of retail operations and governance. And the advertising copy complements our professional, trade focus. We are eager to help you market your products and services to retail cooperatives.
Cooperative Grocer started publishing in 1985. Received enthusiastically by cooperative retailers, the magazine is reaching nearly all the 300 stores comprising the food co-op sector. Bi-monthly circulation is 1,700.
Our website receives more than 20,000 unique visits per month by a mix of consumers and food co-op staff and board. It includes the 27-year archive of our articles and a well-visited directory of cooperatives and cooperative educational and trade resources.
Our advertising rates are very reasonable. And advertisers earn discounts of 10 to 20 percent when they advertise in three or six editions. All print advertisers are eligible for a listing in our online vendor directory for the two months cycle of each issue, or the length of their contract. Download PDF of our Rate Sheet
We also offer a $1,200 sponsorship package that will enhance your promotion to food co-ops acrosss the country:
• year long listing in advertiser directory on new website
• year long 225 x. 225 px ad on website ($600)
• 6 free web classifieds ($450)
• 6 free subscriptions to magazine ($150)
• 5% discount on all advertising (?)
• listed in magazine and website as sponsor.
More than 10,000 visitors to our website view more than 21,000 pages per month.
Our web ads cost $50 for each 225 pixel high block (225 pixels wide). Ads rotate with other ads on all pages. Advertisers receive a free self-administered, one-page listing in Co-op Resource directory for length of contract and access to online viewing report of activity.
Black and White
|Single ad price||3-issue contract
(3 issues in 1 year)
|1 year contract
(6 issues in 1 year)
|classified size||$75 with a 175 word limit.|
|Cover position*, full page only||$1694||$1525||$1355|
|Full page inside||$1540||$1386||$1232|
|*Inside front or back, or back cover|
Deadlines Editorial Calendar
|Edition||Closing Date||Publication Date|
|March-April||January 25||March 1|
|May-June||March 25||May 1|
|July-August||May 25||July 1|
|September-October||July 25||September 1|
|November-December||September 25||November 1|
|January-February||November 25||January 1|
Ad Requirements and Terms
Materials may be sent:
- In electronic format (as an email attachment or on CD). If emailing, please use a compression program such as Stuffit and save in .sit o .sit.hqx format. As a positive velox or laserprint (if the ad does not contain halftones or screens)
We accept the following formats:
- Adobe Illustrator 10.x EPS—please convert all fonts to outlines.
- High-resolution (300 to 600 dpi) JPG files with minimal compression.
- Adobe Acrobat PDF—please be sure your image files are 300 dpi final size, fonts are embedded, and all images are CMYK or grayscale (not RGB).
- Adobe InDesign 2.x—please include all printer and screen fonts used, including those in placed EPS files, a laser proof or PDF proof of the ad, and all placed graphics.
- QuarkXPress 6.x—please include all printer and screen fonts used, including those in placed EPS files, a laser proof or PDF proof of the ad, and all placed graphics.
Ad materials must be received no later than five days after the closing date. See below for shipping and email addresses.
Cooperative Grocer advertising and editorial content will remain separate. The following are the advertising policies of the publication:
- Acceptance of an ad does not imply endorsement of a product or service by the Cooperative Grocer.
- Cooperative Grocer reserves the right to reject any advertising.
- While Cooperative Grocer may plan special issues focusing on themes related to the publication’s mission, plan special advertising and/or editorial sections, and may solicit advertising to accompany such themes, editorial decisions will at all times remain the independent judgment of the editor.
- Cooperative Grocer reserves the right to insert the word “Advertisement” in any ad.
- Advertising that is not camera-ready will be made camera-ready at advertiser expense.
- Cooperative Grocer requires pre-payment from first-time advertisers. Cooperative Grocer reserves the right to require COD from any advertisers.
- Cooperative Grocer will not be held liable for minor changes or typographical errors that do not lessen the value of the advertisement. Liability for errors in advertising will not exceed the cost of the ad. Design work produced by the publishing contractor remains its property, unless permission is granted for release.
- The advertiser agrees to defend and indemnify the Cooperative Grocer against any claim or liability arising from publication of any advertisement. If the advertiser breaks a contract, they agree to pay the difference between discount and full rates.
- Ad billing invoices are mailed with the issue in which the ad appears, with 30 day terms. Rates are net to Cooperative Grocer.