Board of Directors Meeting - 21 April 2011

PRESENT: John Eichholz, Dan Gillotte, Alysen Land, Deirdrie Lang and Doug Walter

ABSENT: Travis Hance and Jane Harter

STAFF: Bella Waters

A. MEETING PRELIMINARIES
1. The meeting was called to order at 11:07 a.m. (CDT) by Dan Gillotte
2. The agenda was approved
3. Minutes for the meeting of 17 March 2011 were approved:
M/S: Doug/Deirdrie: approved the minutes as amended

B. OPERATIONS REPORT
Operations report. The board reviewed the operations report briefly and asked specific questions:

  • Membership: Glad to hear that if all co-ops who have indicated their interested in renewing do, YTD membership will be higher than in 2010. Not sure what to say about the organizations who aren’t renewing. Good to see CDS’s CGIN usage feedback.
  • Web content: WebGeek’s departing developer was hired by NCGA. WebGeeks have hired a new developer and he’s being brought up to speed on projects. Bella will meet with WebGeeks Friday.
  • Current strategic priorities: good progress being made with the new listserves and additional videos.

C. NOMINATING COMMITTEE UPDATE
Only one candidate for the 2011 election. Two potential candidates were not selected due to follow through and CGIN membership status.
M/S: Deirdrie/Doug: Move to extend election application deadline to April 30th.
Board approved extending the deadline and sending out a message explaining the situation and call for additional candidates. Bella will review bylaws for direction on election process if there are more seats available than candidates.

D. ANNUAL MEETING COMMITTEE UPDATE
Board agreed that Jonathan from Tierra Miguel Foundation would be a great draw and linkage opportunity for the Annual Meeting. Annual Meeting Committee will review potential donation beneficiary applications in early May. Board discussed CoFed donation possibility and agreed that members would be more interested in donating to local charities that are working with agriculture and hunger. Committee’s work will continue on promoting the meeting.

E. STRATEGIC PLANNING SESSION COMMITTEE UPDATE
Doug provided an overview of the granular agenda. Current thought is that the meeting will be self facilitated, with facilitation being shared between board members so all can participate in the meeting. Committee’s work will continue on fine-tuning the agenda and researching a technology presenter. John suggested contacting the local universities for a potential speaker.

F. BURNING ISSUES

  • John will be attending Mid-Atlantic Co-op Conference and can distribute CGIN materials.
  • HR online collaborative workplace service. Google already provides a good service for this, so if there’s not an available Drupal module, perhaps the HR community would be willing to pay CGIN to provide admin support for a Google Docs section. Bella will check with on wiki potential and conduct a feasibility study on the options. Board sees the potential for multiple workplaces based on department and could be an exciting new service.

Next meeting: 19 May 9am Pacific (11am Central; 12pm Eastern) Note time change.

Meeting ended 11:58 p.m. Central
Minutes by Bella Waters