PRESENT: Steve Cooke, John Eichholz, Dan Gillotte, Gail Graham, Deirdrie Lang, and Doug Walter and Karen Zimbelman.
STAFF: Ben Nauman, Chris von Rabenau, Robynn Shrader, and Bella Waters,
A. MEETING PRELIMINARIES
1. The meeting was called to order at 10:09 a.m. (PDT) by Dan Gillotte
2. Minutes of the meeting of 17 March 2008: amend to correct grammar errors in Progress Report and Meeting Schedule sections.
M/S: Steve/Gail: approve the minutes with noted changes. Approved unanimously.
3. The agenda was approve
B. OPERATIONS REPORT
Operations report. The board reviewed the operations report briefly. Specific items discussed:
- Task list: John will follow up with Doug regarding interactive component ideas; Deirdrie would like to drop her scholarship task until more inspiration; can not check on new hire policies progress.
- Membership renewal: John will follow up with Joanne regarding Syracuse’s nonrenewal. Bella will work on list that shows which CGIN members are NCGA/NCBA members.
- Financials: John explained what is meant by temporary restricted funds in the balance sheet. This item will be shown from here on out until the account is depleted or changed.
- Board discussion forum: Will start as a board listserve and then when the technology is available, move the listserve to the discussion board/listserve combo. Chris is researching who’s working on the combo module and what support they might need to complete it.
C. ANNUAL MEETING PRPARATIONS
1. Nominating committee: NC has three candidates and the online voting system is working. Need to help educate members on what the CGIN board does and gather sufficient interest in being on the board.
2. Meeting schedule and planning:
- Strategic planning session: Reviewed draft agenda and gathered feedback. Interest in having specific time lengths allocated. First half of the day will be on alignment of NCGA and CGIN goals, management contract of NCGA and how satisfied CGIN is. Second half of the day will be on the future of CGIN and securing alignment with what CGIN is and trying to do. Gail, Dan and Bella will on clarity about where we have executive session, examining unique contributions for support of start-ups, and how board can provide enough direction for executive director/ manager on goals for next year. Will need to keep in mind that candidates will also be attending this session. Feel free to e-mail Dan or Gail regarding thoughts of strategic planning session.
- Annual meeting: Dan is interested in having an interactive component of the annual meeting for meaningful contact. Possibly include section in the board report on what CGIN is working on for people to comment on and question. Also interest in planting questions in the audience to start conversation. All were reminded to not ask for what you aren’t prepared to hear. Membership is better connected online rather than in person. Interested in having operational overview by Team CGIN in song or displayed on screen. Draft agenda looks fine to all as is.
- Board reorganization meeting: held Friday night. Need to have chocolate and wine. Will determine who officers are. Location TBD.
D. LOOKING AHEAD AND WRAP-UP
11 June 2008 – strategic planning session (9-3:30)
12 June 2008 – annual meeting
13 June 2008 – board reorganization meeting
Meeting ended 11:09 a.m. PST
Minutes by Bella Waters