Board of Directors Meeting - 24 September 2007

Board of Directors Meeting
MINUTES: 24 September 2007

PRESENT: Steve Cooke, John Eichholz, Dan Gillotte, Gail Graham, Deirdrie Lang, and Doug Walter and Karen Zimbelman.

STAFF: Robynn Shrader, Chris von Rabenau, Bella Waters, and Steve Wolfe.

A. MEETING PRELIMINARIES
1. The meeting was called to order at 10:09 a.m. (PDT) by Dan Gillotte
2. The agenda was revised to include C.1 – bylaw amendment discussion
3. Minutes of the meeting of 13 June 2007: amend minutes to reflect actual meeting date and revise reference to Deirdrie arrived.     M/S: Doug/Gail: approve the minutes with changes. Approved unanimously.
4. Minutes from membership meeting 14 June 2007 were reviewed and await member approval during 2008 annual meeting.

B. OPERATIONS REPORT
Operations report. The board reviewed the operations report briefly. Specific items discussed:

  • new site functionality: Chris von Rabenau reported on the new site and the efficiencies it will bring to the backend. Overall opinion of the site was positive. Chris explained what was meant by # of unique users in the site statistics. It would be interesting to see specific number of people accessing the resource library. All website questions/comments should be sent to Chris. Chris and Nick are learning Drupal, so majority of the site maintenance will be done in house. Bella will work on site instructions manual. Robynn stated that she would typically check-in with such a large expense but there was an urgency to create a more efficient system due to the amount of staff time being spent. NCGA will only ask that CGIN reimburse them for what TriPark charges NCGA up to $10K. NCGA will cover anything over $10K.     M/S: Gail/Steve: approve payment up to $10K for development costs.
  • financials: Steve Wolfe reported on the financials. CGIN’s income is over budget and expenses are below budget. Scholarship fund balance is now reflected on the balance sheet. Cash has been moved into a two month rolling 4 ½% interest CD.
  • open vs. closed listserve: for the time being, Robynn and Bella will work on creating tougher guidelines for the open listserve. Dan has received feedback from other GMs that they feel the listserve is deteriorating due to a few individuals. KZ reminded all that the listserve is meant as a vehicle for CGIN to communicate directly with its members regarding annual meetings, password changes, new information posted, etc. Also, the current search function is very cumbersome to locate previously discussed topics and hopefully the new site’s search will be more powerful, and decrease the repeated requests made on the list.

C. FOLLOW-UP FROM STRATEGIC PLANNING SESSION
1. By law amendment: John and Doug will send a draft of the by laws to the group by October 12th. The group will then have to time submit feedback, approve via e-mail or brief conference call and prepare voting material to be included in the 2008 member renewal.

D. LOOKING AHEAD AND WRAP-UP
1. Nominating committee: There is still one vacant seat. Majority of the board felt there wasn’t an urgency to appoint someone to that seat. Also, it might be difficult for someone to join the discussion due to all the current changes. The board will check in to see if this is still the sentiment in December.

Upcoming meetings:
3 December 2007
24 March 2008
12 May 2008

minutes by Bella Waters