MINUTES SUMMARY: 14 May 2007
PRESENT: Steve Cooke, John Eichholz, Dan Gillotte, Gail Graham, Deirdrie Lang, Doug Walter, Bella Waters and Karen Zimbelman.
A. MEETING PRELIMINARIES
The meeting was called to order at 10:04 a.m. (PDT) by Gail Graham. Minutes of the meeting of 26 March 2007:
M/S: Doug/Deirdrie: approve the minutes as presented. Approved unanimously.
The board will approve minutes taken by Dan from April board calls in La Crosse.
The agenda was approved as presented.
B. OPERATIONS REPORT
The board reviewed KZ’s operations report.
Specific items discussed:
membership & renewal: Some non-renewals are surprising. All board members should feel welcome to check in with co-ops that haven’t yet renewed at CCMA or other opportunities.
web support services: The board noted the importance and effectiveness of backups. Glad all is working correctly and that the disruption to members was minimal.
financials: CGIN is in good shape financially. Gail is sending NCBA a letter discussing the transition out of the current membership dues sharing agreement by the end of the year.
transition progress report: KZ updated the board on NCGA’s Team CGIN and its regular meetings and noted that Tim Barnes will be stepping in during Bella’s absence.
C. ANNUAL MEETING PREPARATIONS
1. Nominating committee report and transition: Dan and John reported that they simply were unable to find additional candidates for this year’s election in the short time allowed. So the board will consider appointing someone to fill the vacancy, with a priority on non-NCGA members. John and Dan will continue to recruit potential candidates to fill the vacancy for now. A list of all CGIN members will be included in the annual meeting packet.
2. Meeting schedule and planning:
- Strategic planning session: Dan is working on locating a facilitator. Board members agreed to meet from noon to 3 p.m. at a People’s Food Co-op meeting room. . The board would like to invite Chris von Rabenau sit in on part of its meeting – especially the agenda time looking at CGIN’s goals and plans. Gail will prepare the agenda, which will focus on: looking at and revising the goals set at last year’s session; priorities to give direction to NCGA; and defining expectations of NCGA in terms of accomplishments and progress in the short- and long-term.
- Annual meeting: Directors are all willing to help staff the CGIN display table, to help secure “pledges” and hand out memory sticks, given that we expect annual meeting attendance to be somewhat lighter than normal. Priority on staffing the table will be between workshops and the time around meals. KZ will prepare a signup sheet and some simple procedures to review with everyone in La Crosse. . KZ is working on an index measure looking at CGIN “10 years later” and will send the board a draft for comments, suggestions, and their ratings in the selected indicators.
- Board reorganization meeting: This meeting will be held from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Thursday afternoon at one of the People’s Food Co-op’s meeting rooms. Bella will arrange for a meeting space at this time, as well. This means that directors won’t be able to take the store tours, unfortunately. The meeting will be held to elect new officers, schedule next year’s meeting dates, sign necessary paperwork in regard to account transfers, and debrief the board’s planning discussions with Robynn.
13 June 2007 strategic planning session
14 June 2007 annual meeting
14 June 2007 1 p.m. CST board reoganizaiton meeting
Meeting adjourned at 11:18 a.m. PST.
Minutes by Bella Waters