PRESENT: Steve Cooke, Gail Graham, Jean Helms, Deirdrie Lang, and Doug Walter.
STAFF PRESENT: Bella Waters and Karen Zimbelman
ABSENT: John Eichholz and Dan Gillotte.
A. MEETING PRELIMINARIES
- The meeting was called to order at 5:23 p.m. by Gail Graham.
- The agenda was approved as presented.
- Minutes of the meeting of 15 May 2006:
M/S: Jean/Doug: approve the minutes as presented. Approved unanimously.
- Review of task list from May meeting: Everything was completed satisfactorily (noting that everyone had forgotten about coordinating breakfast for Wednesday morning.)
B. BOARD REORGANIZATION
1. Welcome to John: KZ described the background materials that she sends to new directors. She will send that to John and Gail will follow-up to check in with him, make sure he doesn’t have questions and feels sufficiently prepared.
2. Officers: Doug proposed that the board stick with the same officers for 2006-2007. Approved by acclamation.
- President Gail Graham
- Treasurer Steve Cooke (will also serve as second account signer)
- Secretary Dan Gillotte
M/S: Doug/Deirdrie: approve the above as CGIN officers. Approved unanimously.
3. Committee appointments:
The following directors were appointed to the board’s committees:
n Nominating Dan and Jean
NB: Directors with terms expiring in 2007 are Kelly and the vacant seat left by Patrice’s resignation.
n Membership chair: Jean
The Membership Committee will be the board as a whole and will consider matters related to CGIN’s membership policies as needed.
The board may wish to set up a planning committee – to be discussed at future meetings.
4. Board roster. KZ will update the board roster, making sure that Steve’s correct (@sevananda.coop) address is listed.
C. OTHER BUSINESS
1. Schedule 2006-2007 board meetings: The board established the following schedule:
- 18 September 2006
- 18 December 2006
- 12 March 2007
- 14 May 2007
- 13 June (Wednesday) — strategic planning session
- 14 June (Thursday) — annual meeting
- 15 June (Friday) — board re-organization meeting (in person)
2. New board policy on board eligibility. Item three on the proposed policy on board eligibility was changed from able to likely – likely to attend CCMA on a regular basis.
M/S: Steve/Doug: approve the policy as amended. Approved unanimously.
The board discussed whether CGIN should have a policy regarding how scholarship funds are used – that their potential uses be expanded (e.g. help co-ops with NCBA dues) or that their availability as scholarship funds expire after some period of time. KZ will follow-up with Paul Hazen on ways that CGIN could help cover NCBA dues for small or struggling co-ops.
3. Discussion/follow-up from annual meeting. The board enjoyed the briefness of the meeting and that we didn’t lose people. There was good attendance, good energy, and people seemed to be excited about the luggage tags. s for the question asked at the NCGA meeting regarding the merger of NCGA and CGIN, Gail will follow up with the new NCGA chair to discuss who, when, and how a discussion on the relationship between NCGA and CGIN can take place in a formal manner. Jean feels that some NCGA members can view CGIN’s independence as a negative decision. The board needs to more effectively communicate with members on why they feel it’s valuable for CGIN to remain independent.
4. Discussion/follow-up from strategic planning session. The board supports the idea of using some new technology to continue and follow-up on planning discussions – e.g. a wiki or webboard. Both of the discussion groups, “Bluebirds” and “Robins” will work on finalizing their objectives and goals. KZ feels that CGIN will need to put resources behind this planning as it will take more time than she currently has. There was some discussion on sending out a RFP for assistance. KZ & Gail will discuss ideas for follow-up and send out thoughts to all directors for discussion at the September meeting. Next steps will focus especially on how to keep the momentum moving forward over the next 6 to 12 months.
D. LOOKING AHEAD/WRAP-UP
Next meeting: 18 September by conference call at 12:00 noon CDT.
Meeting adjourned at 6:15 p.m. EDT
Minutes by Bella Waters