Board of Directors Meeting - 12 September 2005

PRESENT: Steve Cooke, Dan Gillotte, Gail Graham, Doug Walter, Kelly Wiseman, and Karen Zimbelman. Jean Helms sent her regrets due to an unavoidable conflict. In addition, Deirdrie Lang from the Kootenay Co-op joined the call through Item B.

A. MEETING PRELIMINARIES

  • The meeting was called to order at 10:02 a.m. (PDT) by Gail Graham. For Deirdrie’s benefit, there was a quick round of introductions.
  • The agenda was approved as presented.
  • Minutes of the meeting of 10 June 2005: M/S: Doug/Kelly: approve the minutes as presented. Approved unanimously.
  • Minutes from the annual meeting of 9 June 2005 were reviewed and approved for posting (as a draft) to the CGIN website.

B. OPERATIONS AND REPORTS

1. Review of task list: The board asked about the contributor profiles and KZ noted that she doesn’t anticipate any major problems in getting the system set up to do this. It’s just a matter of priority for the webmaster at this point. The board also asked about the MOU between NCBA and NCGA. Based on a conversation with Paul Hazen shortly after CCMA, KZ reported that this agreement will no longer contain any references to CGIN. KZ also clarified that the possible management contract with NCBA is a different matter and that she will be working with Paul on this with a target date of having a draft for the board to review by the end of October.
2. Items discussed in the operations report:

  • Site statistics: KZ will have Bella send the revised statistics once we can work out the issues regarding the August numbers
  • Content: The board encouraged KZ to continue to lean on pledgers as the primary source of new material. The board discussed the potential deli blog and didn’t feel like it should be a priority for CGIN at this point. One potential idea for some sort of role for CGIN is an e-group or support for IT/POS managers. The group doesn’t see any compelling need for CGIN to host a wiki or to consider podcasting at this point. Maybe CCMA keynotes in the future?
  • Grant funding: The board discussed and likes the idea of some sort of simple, basic online board training though it was recognized that there are many unresolved issues and that it would require funding. Additionally, the board discussed the idea of some sort of video clip or online movie for a “Co-op 101” training for staff. Ideas abound.
  • Financials: The board discussed the scholarship fund balance and whether unused funds should revert to CGIN after a period of time. At this point, the board supports the idea of making scholarship funds available to help co-ops cover NCBA fees, if something like that can be worked out with NCBA. KZ will also research how we might be able to make CGIN known and accessible, with scholarship assistance, to new co-ops coming out of the Food Co-op 500 initiative.
  • Progress on 2005 goals: The Content Advisory Committee should be dropped as it is too inactive and just not a high enough priority at this point.

3. Follow-up from strategic planning session: The group liked the SWOT exercises, especially the open discussion on the idea of a potential merger with NCGA. KZ will work on preparing a statement that summarizes the conclusions we came to about why that isn’t an idea that CGIN will be pursuing at this point.

C. BOARD VACANCY

The board asked questions of Deirdrie regarding her background (18 years at Kootenay Co-op), about the co-op, and about her application and interest in serving on the CGIN board. Deirdrie left the call for further discussion.
M/S: Doug/Steve: appoint Deirdrie Lang to fill the current vacancy on the CGIN board. Approved unanimously.

Dan will call her to notify her of the board’s decision and make sure she accepts the appointment.

D. LOOKING AHEAD AND WRAP-UP

1. Performance review process: Kelly and Gail will discuss and prepare a recommendation for the board.
2. Nominating Committee: Doug and Dan confirmed that they will be gearing up for nominations in the new year but there’s not much to do in the meantime. Kelly and Deirdrie’s seats will be coming up for re-election.

Next meeting: 19 December by conference call at 12:00 noon CDT.

Meeting adjourned at 10:58 a.m. (PDT)

Minutes by Karen Zimbelman